Hiring a Ghostwriter
The Buyers Guide To Working With And Hiring A Ghostwriter
Hiring a Ghostwriter for your writing needs should be treated like any other business transaction and listed below are some tips and information on getting the best for your money.
The Right Way To Hire A Ghostwriter
Creating A Ghostwriting Project
In order to create a successful ghostwriting job, you will need to assess your needs in great detail. The key to hiring quality ghost writers is in creating a well thought out, well formulated job description. This should always include:
• the number of articles required
• the number of pages required for website content
• the number of pages if your project is for an ebook
• the word count required
• the style if a particular style of writing is required
• delivery schedule
• whether or not the articles are to be keyword related
• amount you are willing to pay if you have a set budget
Choosing A Ghost Writers Market Place To Place Your Job
When it comes to choosing a ghost writers market place to advertise your writing job there are a wide range of options available. Two of the most successful freelance writer’s market places are Elance and Guru which boast the most successful project results.
You should begin by registering to post ghostwriting jobs. You can also specify what category of ghost writers are eligible to bid on your freelance writing job. With Elance you can choose to limit your project to Select Professionals only. This will however mean that you have to pay a small fee to post your freelance writing job and your minimum project budget will also be $250.
If you allow complete bidding access to your ghostwriting job there is no fee required and the minimum project budget is $50.
You should also note that bidding ghostwriters are encouraged by Elance to include the Elance fee in their bids. The fees that ghost writers are charged is 8.75% for a first time project and 6.35% for a repeat project. The minimum fee that writers are charged is $10.
Reading and Evaluating Bids
Once you’ve successfully placed your ghostwriting assignment the hard work begins. As bids for your ghostwriting job start to arrive, you will need to know how to assess them correctly and how to make the best decision when it comes to choosing a ghostwriter for your job. A competent ghostwriter will be able to sell themselves through their proposal but there are a few items that should always be checked:
• Rating and Feedback – This is probably one of the most important steps that you should take when it comes to choosing the best ghostwriter for your job. Feedback is probably more important and will give you a clear indication as to what the ghost writer’s performance is like.
• Portfolio – Viewing a ghostwriter’s portfolio will allow you to assess the writing style and competency of the writer. This will also give you an indication as to what subjects that this ghost writer has already worked on.
• Samples – Never be afraid to request samples. A professional ghostwriter will always be able to provide samples of their writing. If they are new to the ghost writing profession they will most likely offer to write a sample for you but you should be willing to pay for any written samples you request.
Following these three simple steps will allow you to choose the best ghost writer for your writing assignment.
Contracts and Signed Agreements
Once you have successfully chosen your ghostwriter, the next step in your job process will be contracts and signed agreements. Many ghostwriters will also request a statement of works. This will involve detailing the writing job and the various steps that need to be followed. This document should also include a deadline date for completion.
A contract should always be signed and is a legal and binding document between both the buyer and ghostwriter. If your chosen writer does not request a signed agreement, contract, or statement of works then this will be up to you. Having a signed contract will also give you peace of mind and this should be received before any work has started.
Payment details should be identified before commencement of any writing assignment. A professional ghostwriter will always ask for some compensation up front so don’t be offended by this. Payment can be scheduled in stages; e.g., first payment of at least 10% after the project has been awarded, with a further schedule of payments being decided upon. Paying the first 10% ensures that you are a genuine buyer.
There are a number of ghostwriters who will request 50% upfront and 50% on completion of the project.
The payment schedule you agree on should be included in your signed contract and statement of works and should be agreed upon before your ghost writer begins any work. If you choose to work via Elance there is an escrow system in place and you will be required to transfer payment to escrow when you have selected your chosen ghostwriter. On completion of the project you will have 15 days to release the escrow funds.
Following all the guidelines listed on this page will not only help you to successfully submit a ghostwriting job but it will also help you to find the best ghost writer for the job. These guidelines will also show you how to become a professional and successful buyer when hiring a ghost writer.
Latest posts by Amanda J Evans (see all)
- The Web Content Writer’s Bible – Book Review - May 10, 2013
- Freelance Writing Jobs – Where Do You Get Yours? - April 29, 2013
- Freelance Writing – 5 Mistakes To Avoid - April 22, 2013
- Why Every Freelance Writer Needs A Blog - January 21, 2013
- How To Take Your Freelance Writing To The Next Level - January 17, 2013